Your body needs a balanced diet to function well, so does your brain. Eating a healthy diet consisting of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and healthy fats will not only improve your body’s condition. These types of brain food will also improve your memory. Here are some nutritional tips to boost your mental performance:
• Include more omega-3s. Studies have shown that omega-3 fatty acids are good for the brain. Fish is a rich source of omega-3, particularly tuna, salmon, mackerel, trout, halibut, herring, and sardines. A fish-based diet will also minimize the risk of suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. You can also get omega-3 from winter squash, walnuts, pinto beans, kidney beans, flaxseed oil, ground flaxseed, broccoli, spinach, and soybeans.
• Control the consumption of saturated fat and calories. Diets rich in whole milk, red meat, cheese, butter, cream and ice cream, which are full of saturated fats, will damage your brain memory and concentration and even put you at a higher risk of developing dementia. Consuming too many calories will also ruin your cognitive skills.
• Go green with your tea. Green tea is rich in polyphenols, which are antioxidants that can repair your brain cells damaged by free radicals. It also improves mental alertness and memory, while slowing down the aging process of the brain.
• Add more fruits and vegetables to your diet. Colored fruits and vegetables are rich in antioxidants. Green leafy vegetables, such as broccoli, kale, spinach, chard, romaine lettuce, and arugula, as well as cantaloupe, mangoes, apricots, bananas, and watermelon, are great for the brain.
• Slow down in alcohol consumption. Even if you say you’re only drinking grape juice or wine, it should still be done in moderation. While it’s true that alcohol eliminates brain cells, it can improve brain cognition and memory when taken in moderation. Red wine contains Resveratrol, which improves blood circulation in the brain. You may also find this flavonoid in grape juice, fresh grapes, berries, peanuts, and cranberry juice.
Eat well and feed your brain well with the right brain food. Make sure to adjust your diet according to the tips above to protect your brain power.